PAGES

ABOUT SPONSOR CONTACT

Monday, July 9, 2012

NATURE PHOTOGRAPHY TIPS

I am not a professional photographer, but I have been doing photography for a really long time, so have decided to share some tips I picked up along the way. My specialty is nature photography, so here goes...


When shooting a macro photo, it's often good to have selective focus to emphasize something in the composition. For example, in the photo below, I focused strictly on the flower and let all the action in the background just blur away. It's especially nice when there's natural light and blending colors in the background.




Composition is really important in photography. Where the subject is in relation to other subjects in the photograph to create the intended effect. Or at least, that's how I usually define it in my photographs. Timing can also be important. Like in my photo below, the timing made it look as if the butterfly is hiding behind the flower, and the two subjects together make a creative composition.




Remember to use natural light to your advantage. Get creative, and have fun with it! The sun was setting when I took this photo, and the way the flowers were shaped like cups gave me the idea and the name "Little Cups of Light." So don't be afraid to experiment!




Another thing to experiment with is colors. When your trying to make a certain color to stand out, frame it against a simple or even dull background. In my photo this worked really well, because while highlighting the blue of the morpho butterfly, it also gave the impression of hope against despair.




Slow shutter speed can be useful. You can get creative with it, and it can create an effect that you wouldn't be able to achieve with a fast shutter speed. When I captured the photo below, I had no intention of it looking that way- as if I was spinning in circles when I took the photo. It made it much more iteresting then just a boring old standing still tree.




So that's it for today, and I hope this gave you some idea for your next photo!

Phoebe XO

No comments:

Post a Comment