PAGES

ABOUT SPONSOR CONTACT

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Travel Tuesday: Washington, DC

via

This week's Travel Tuesday is actually closer than usual - Washington, DC. Washington, DC is one of my favorite places to visit and hang around. I've lived in Maryland for all my life with the exception of the two years I lived in California (which I also love btw). I am so grateful to be able to escape to DC just through a twenty-five minute metro ride. So without further adieu, here are my insider tips and favorite spots in Washington, DC:

- The best time to visit DC is when the cherry blossoms bloom which is usually in March or April. Cherry Blossoms here in DC are one of its biggest highlights. It looks like a fairy godmother had a really great day and turned normal trees into cotton candy pink ones. It really is breath-taking. (Insider tip: The worst time to visit DC is during the summer. Summer and winter here is pretty extreme. Plus, people crowd the museums because of summer vacation and it really gets annoying.)

- Go museum hopping at the National Mall, duh! One of the things I love about DC is that 99% of the museums are free to enter. My favorite museum, Newseum is unfortunately one of the ones that actually does cost money. National Air and Space Museum, Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, and National Museum of the American Indian are also among my favorites. (Insider tip: Food at the museums are outrageously expensive. Eight dollars for just a burger? No, thanks. Eat either before or after you go to the museum and bring snacks with you.)

via


- Catch a free performance at The Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage. They play every 6 pm.

- Visit Meridian Hill Park. On Sundays they have a free famous drum circle performance from 3 pm to 9 pm. 

via

- See different types of animals at the National Zoo. I love this place. I just went last weekend and enjoyed it so much. My favorites are the very pink flamingos, the very tall giraffes, and the very big pandas. (Insider tip: If you go on a really sunny day, grab some frozen yogurt at fro.zen.yo across the street after your visit. They give out free hot fudge and caramel too.)

- Go hiking and have a picnic at Great Falls Park. The place is so serene and quiet. It's one of those great places to escape to.

- Eat chili at Ben's Chili Bowl. Lots of famous people adore this place. I love their chili cheese fries the best. (Insider tip: Expect a long line outside. The wait is pretty long.)

via


- For some asian fusion, go to CafĂ© Asia. They have the best calamari. I have a habit of always ordering their fried dumplings and General Tso shrimp too. 

- Grab happy hour at McCormick and Schmick's. The best burger (also, my favorite burger yet) awaits you on their happy hour menu. Their happy hour buffalo wings are AMAZING. Crispy and delicious and always served with homemade blue cheese sauce.

- Pick up a cookie at Firehook Bakery. My absolute favorite is their Espresso cookie. They have cookies the size of your head.


xo/ alyssa






No comments:

Post a Comment